Welp. It’s time to climb back up on the ol’ proverbial horse, and hope that the Jays can give Dan Bard the same kind of shitcanning they did when he faced them in the Grapefruit League last month. Let’s stop going over last night’s debacle, shall we?
- Turns out if you’re lucky enough to be in Peterborough (no, really, Peterborough’s kinda terrific!) or the cottage country surrounding it, you can now listen to Blue Jays baseball games on local station FM 90.5.
- Holy shit. While we were all getting drunk last night, Peter Gammons tweeted this…
This has nothing to do with tonight’s start, but 5 years from now I’d bet Henderson Alvarez has more career wins than Darvish
— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) April 10, 2012
- OK, two things about last night:
1) Adam Lind struck out three times, but only once against left-handed starter Felix Doubront. Scott Atchison got him twice.
2) In the Globe and Mail, Jeff Blair not only points out that Jacques Doucet was calling the game in French last night– one of 60 TVA will air this season– but he also puts the Santos business in succinct perspective, using about 1,000 words less than I needed…
“As is often the case with closers, Santos’s psyche will concern most fans this morning. Do not fall in line with them,” he writes. “Santos had a decent feel for his change-up and slider but was over-throwing his fastball. It happens. It’s correctable.”
- Don’t forget, tomorrow is an afternoon game! And more importantly, afterwards, it’s going to mark the debut of our newest feature, Greetings From Dunedin, which is going to bring you all a bunch of prospect-y gold from Bradley Ankrom of Baseball Prospectus. Be sure to give him a follow on Twitter: @BradleyAnkrom.
And now tonight’s lineups, by way of the live box score at theScore.com…
Toronto Blue Jays
Y. Escobar SS
K. Johnson 2B
J. Bautista RF
A. Lind 1B
E. Encarnacion DH
B. Lawrie 3B
E. Thames LF
J. Arencibia C
C. Rasmus CF
K. Drabek RHP
Boston Red Sox
J. Ellsbury CF
D. Pedroia 2B
A. Gonzalez 1B
D. Ortiz DH
K. Youkilis 3B
R. Sweeney RF
C. Ross LF
J. Saltalamacchia C
N. Punto SS
D. Bard RHP