The Blue Jays have something of a tradition during their annual trip to Southern California to play the Anaheim Angels. East LA native and anchor of the pitching staff Ricky Romero hosts a feast at his off-season home, providing authentic home-cooked Mexican meals for teammates, many of whom are eager for a taste of home.
After yesterday’s getaway day victory over the Texas Ranges, the Jays flew into LAX and promptly assembled a deep crew for the run to Romero’s place. Not long into the regal feast, Ricky posted this picture to this twitterfeed. The image is full of happy teammates and a very proud host. So busy is this photo that you just might have missed some key components. Which is where I come in…
1. The only obvious alcoholic beverage in the shot, a Tecate in front of good Texan Kyle Drabek. I like the cut of your jib, Kyle. But we already knew this, didn’t we?
2. An extremely dour Adam Lind. Either Adam Lind isn’t one for spicy food or Adam Lind went on the internet for the first time this season during his cross-continental flight. This is the face of a man who could use a Tecate.
[Drew Hutchison] Ricky, I just want to say thanks for inviting me into your home to be a part of this great team tradition. It means so much that, even though I’ve only been up with the club for a few weeks, you let me partake in this incredible meal. Seriously, Ricky, I’m truly grateful.
[Ricky Romero] EAT OUT OF THE SINK, ROOK. SHOW SOME G.D. RESPECT.
4. Without knowing the identity of this lady (Ricky’s sister?), I will say it is something less than surprising to see the youngest woman in the room standing mere inches from J.P. Arencibia. Just a hunch: this happens a lot.
5. In a similar vein: Brett Lawrie has a very large bottle of sugary & heavily caffeinated soda at his fingertips. Again: me thinks this isn’t rare.
6. The smart money says this is a Ricky Romero shirsey. I think LAWRIE 13 is a good value play, however. Additional bonus: I bet Lawrie spent all night chatting her up, flirting and complimenting the food. Call me crazy.