Ever wonder how high-end, billion- and multi-million dollar TV and radio networks pull in the high quality talent that makes up the wonderful radio broadcasts of baseball games that criss-cross the airwaves? Why a job posting on their company website, or something called Milkman UnLimited, of course!
Yep. So get your resumes in order, those of you with at least four years pro- or semi-pro baseball experience and four years of broadcast experience! And everyone else, get set for monthly web chats and twice weekly articles from your next, all-new, “witty, genuine, self-deprecating, informative, thought-provoking, positive, insightful, observant, curious, well-rounded, instinctive, and opinionated” Rogers personality!
I guess word of mouth only goes so far in any industry. Or… y’know… more likely it’s just protocol to create job postings for all opportunities, no matter how in the bag they are for some preordained candidate. But whatever!
Full text of the posting after the jump…
MLB Colour Commentator Announcer – Sportsnet Radio The FAN 590 (Toronto)-34387
If you are a veteran broadcaster and former MLB player who loves the game, talking about it on air, on television and in social media, Sportsnet Radio The FAN 590, home of Toronto Blue Jays baseball in in Toronto has a rare employment opportunity. The perfect candidate will be compelling, entertaining, engaging, witty, thought-provoking, insightful, opinionated, and must know and love everything about baseball. And that’s just for starters. We want a person or team that want to win. We want leaders. We want people with passion.
What’s Sportsnet Radio The FAN 590 All About?
We are one of the most listened to sports radio stations in North America. We are based in Toronto, Canada. We love our sports! We are home of the Toronto Blue Jays, Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors, Toronto FC, Buffalo Bills, and more. We are a personality-driven radio station that uses sports as a foundation to create an entertaining, compelling, engaging and interactive forum for sports fans.
Sportsnet Radio Fan 590′s content must be delivered by intelligent personalities who know and understand sports, life beyond sports, and life experience for a 25-54 year old Toronto guy. The characteristics of our personalities include but are not limited to witty, genuine, self-deprecating, informative, thought-provoking, positive, insightful, observant, curious, well-rounded, instinctive, and opinionated. Show hosts must ‘play the hits’ which are the topics and issues that appeal to the broadest segment of the audience. Show hosts must be able to execute sound fundamentals including tease, plot and pay-off to maximize ratings. They must create a sense of urgency, a sense of anticipation, back up opinions with facts, be a fan and embrace the fan experience. They must be proficient with all aspects of social networking and be able to integrate the use of twitter, facebook, text messaging in all shows. Personalities are also required to write a daily blog. All this in order to further audience growth and loyalty for the radio station and themselves.
- Colour commentary for spring training and all regular season and play-off Toronto Blue Jays games. Commitment – Feb – October.
- Participate in Blue Jays radio/television conversations/interviews as requested.
- Participate in Baseball Central @ Noon program.
- Write articles for digital twice per week.
- Aggressively use and react with social media. You must have a twitter account and use it.
- Web based fan chats once per month.
- Additional duties relating to the Baseball brand as requested.
- Must be able to travel.
- Must have a minimum 4 years in pro or semi-pro baseball experience.
- Must have a minimum of 4 years broadcast experience in radio/television or combination.
- History with the Toronto Blue Jays an asset.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must have proven ability to work both independently and as a team player with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to follow direction of management.
- Must be able to sufficiently prepare for each game and deliver a fresh product to the listeners each day.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment as a team player.
- Able to communicate to 25-54 male demographic.
- Excellent sports knowledge – particularly baseball.
- Able to execute the sports entertainment format.
The future is exciting and Rogers is leading the way.
Canadians count on Rogers to keep them in touch with those who matter most to them – whether at their desk, on the couch, or on the go. As Canada’s telecommunications leader, we keep everyone informed, connected and entertained, with our exciting array of products and services. Our drive to provide the latest and most innovative products ensures that our customers enjoy unmatched convenience, reliability, and flexibility. Rogers continues to set the pace by investing in our networks, platforms, products and people. Are you ready for a high-energy career that feeds your enthusiasm? Join us now.
Job Posting Jan 16, 2013
Job On-Air Talent
Employee Status Regular