Welp. Seems like every member of the Jays’ staff is already on ludicrous ol’ Dunedin time, because it was at 7:01 AM this morning (which is a time that, apparently, exists) that my inbox was hit with a release from the club– and not just any old we sold out the home opener bit of typical PR babble.
As you’ve probably read elsewhere, Melky Cabrera finally talked about PED stuff, then said he was through talking about it. Like, forever-ish. For the sake of completeness, here’s the full statement:
“Last season ended for me when I admitted taking a banned substance and accepted and served my punishment of a 50 game suspension. Since that day, my goals have been to serve my punishment and to put that mistake behind me, and to work hard to be the best baseball player I can be. At the end of last season, when it became clear that I would win the batting title despite my positive test, I asked the Players Association and MLB to make sure a more deserving player won, and I am very happy that my former teammate Buster Posey won that award instead of me.
I also accepted the Giants’ decision not to bring me back for the Playoffs after I served my punishment. Instead, I continued to work hard so I could be ready for the 2013 season. I hoped and expected that I would be allowed to put my mistake behind me and to start this season fresh.
I am aware that in the past weeks, there have been news articles written about so-called patient files from a Miami clinic, and the MLB and others are investigating those allegations. I have told MLB I will cooperate in their investigation the best I can, just as my legal counsel has told federal investigators. I have been instructed by legal counsel not to answer questions relating to the pending investigations. This statement will be the last comment I will make on the events of the 2012 season. I have put my mistakes behind me, have learned my lesson, and have served my punishment. I am here to play the best baseball I can to help the Toronto Blue Jays win a World Championship.”
So… case closed, right?
Not necessarily. For what it’s worth, Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports was on the Fan 590′s Prime Time Sports back on February 6th, and addressed the possibility of a second suspension for Cabrera. (Around the 5:00 mark of the clip.)
“From people with whom I spoke yesterday,” he said, “if records show that there were multiple events, and Melky Cabrera may indeed have had another time that can be linked, MLB will go after those players for a second time. So Melky Cabrera by no means is out of the woods at this point.”
Granted, I suspect that the players’ union would have a whole lot of something to say about a second suspension, if MLB were to really start pursuing it, but the point is, just because Melky is through talking about it doesn’t mean it’s going to go away.
That’s evidenced, too, by the fact that reporters still tried to get him to open up on the subject when, after the statement was issued, he spoke to the media in Dunedin. John Lott has an excellent roundup of the event in the National Post– including comments from Alex Anthopoulos, who says the club did plenty of background work on Cabrera before signing him, and feels comfortable about the deal, even in the wake of the Biogenesis scandal.
“You definitely have to throw out last year,” Anthopoulos said of his $16-million signing. “I certainly understand the suspicions.”
The GM also disagreed with what Passan, and others, have been saying about the potential for a second suspension:
Anthopoulos reiterated that he does not expect any further punishment for Cabrera by MLB stemming from this offseason’s report in Miami.
— Gregor Chisholm (@gregorMLB) February 15, 2013
So… there’s that.