Jose Bautista is out of the lineup for the Jays again tonight, with several reporters tweeting that John Gibbons informed them of his condition this afternoon. The manager noted that the slugger’s back– not the ear infection that had tin foil hats racing off the shelves when fans first became aware of it last night– is the problem as, according to multiple tweets, it’s still bothering him a little bit, and he hasn’t swung a bat in two days.
What he has done, apparently, is get caught in this bizarre scene that was tweeted this afternoon by MLB.com’s weird, trending shit repository, Cut4. (After, apparently, it was put on Instagram yesterday by Jose Reyes.)
The caption reads, simply: “Reyes’ sprained ankle + Melky in a belly shirt = this weird, amazing photo.”
So… y’know… for those of you who’d been asking me why Cabrera isn’t quite as fast a runner as you’d figured, uh… there you go.
Addtional scuttlebutt from Gibbons after the jump…
- Brendan Kennedy tweets that Gibbons says Bautista “probably” won’t be available to pinch hit tonight.
- Chris Toman tells us that John Gibbons isn’t sure of the results of the MRI on the triceps of Sergio Santos, or if he’s even had one.
- As for last night’s big pinch hit, Mike Wilner tweets that Gibbons says he’s still happy with taking Rasmus out for Davis, and says he would have heard about it if he hadn’t done so.
- Brendan Kennedy adds that Gibbons said he feels the defensive drop from Rasmus to Bonifacio is not as large as the offensive gain going from Rasmus to Davis against right-handers. Makes sense in the abstract, but given that it was one seventh-inning at-bat versus two crucial ones in the most important outfield position, I’m still not sure I’m on board.
- Seriously, though, what the fuck is going on in that picture?