Leading off, as always (or usual), it’s today’s edition of the Getting Blanked Podcast– which for the duration of the season will be coming at you daily! We’re not double posting this year, but I’ll be sure to include the link in the first Daily Duce or Game Threat that follows the post going up over at Getting Blanked. Otherwise, you can find the podcast at Getting Blanked on iTunes, get it via the RSS feed we have setup, or like Getting Blanked on Facebook in order to get each day’s podcast straight into your news feed (if we bother to post it). While you’re at it, go ahead and like DJF on Facebook, too.
Here’s the real kicker about the downward trend in Jays’ TV ratings I wrote about earlier: In a piece by Michael Oliveira for the Canadian Press in late March, Rogers Media president Keith Pelley was dreaming much, much bigger. “The Blue Jays decision to add money and payroll was not in isolation, it was done in a decision that, if we can play meaningful games in September, what that will do to Sportsnet,” Pelley said. “[Last year's final] numbers of 507,000 would creep up to in the neighbourhood of a million viewers.” Big if there, Keith. Apparently.
Speaking of Rogers, Shi Davidi reports at Sportsnet from the unveiling of the statue of Uncle Ted yesterday, quoting the late owner’s son– who is chairman of the Blue Jays, apparently– as telling the crowd, “We’ve re-invested in the Rogers Centre and put many tens of millions into it, and we’re going to put a lot more money into it.” So… that’s good?
Davidi also takes stock of where the players are at following yet another loss last night, and relays whatever possible about yesterday’s doors-closed, players-only meeting. If you’d rather the Twitter-ized version, spiced up with a few swears of commentary, I had ya covered in last night’s Game Threat.
Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun reports that there were only two scouts at the Rogers Centre on Monday to watch Josh Johnson’s start. Surprise translation: there isn’t a whole lot of interest there.
In the K-Rod trade the Orioles gave up “probably a top-200 prospect” in Nick Delmonico, which is why Keith Law of ESPN.com (Insider Only) pans the deal for Baltimore. Shortly after the piece went up, he tweeted, “if a two-month rental of K-Rod gets a mid-level prospect, the Jays should shop Brett Cecil and Steve Delabar.” Of course, that doesn’t mean they have to take whatever’s offered, but yeah. Those two guys are found money for the Jays, and as much as fans want to keep them, they’re relievers. They’re fungible.
John Lott of the National Post went to Buffalo this week, in order to speak with Anthony Gose, who is tired of answering the same questions about his lack of hitting, his promotion and demotion, and his attitude. “Until I figure it out,” he tells Lott, “I’m going to have to keep answering these questions.”
Poor Daniel Rathman of Baseball Prospectus had to watch last night’s Jays-Dodgers shittacular (actually entertaining as it was, despite the loss), and summed it all up, depressingly, thusly: “In PECOTA’s eyes, Toronto now has no chance of coming back to win the East and only a minuscule shot of making a miraculous run at a wild card berth. Closer Casey Janssen, who has only one save to his name since June 22, told reporters, ‘we need to play good ball, and just see what we can make of this thing.’ With less than $2 million left on his contract in 2013 and a buyout-less, $4 million club option for next year, he might be one of the first to go.”
Speaking of, at Bluebird Banter, Jays182 argues that it’s time for a bullpen fire sale, which… like I’m saying, he’s probably not wrong.
Elsewhere at Bluebird Banter, Nick Ashbourne singles out “the other guys” as the problem with the Jays’ lineup, noting that the solid five members of the club’s offence– Reyes, Bautista, Encarnacion, Lind and Rasmus– have a pretty impressive combined line of .274/.351/.497.
Avert your eyes: Jake Marisnick, along with Marlins teammate Christian Yelich, is today’s prospect of the day over at Minor League Ball. (Actually, don’t worry, it’s not all gumdrops and horseradish.)
At Sportsnet, Dirk Hayhurst says that the Jays won’t give up without a fight. So… there’s that.
In the Toronto Sun, Steve Buffery says that J.P. Arencibia’s “complaining wouldn’t have been such a big deal if not for the fact that he is doing very little to help the Jays at this point.”
Late addition: I spoke about the Jays today with Matt Galloway on CBC Radio’s Metro Morning. Have a listen.
Lastly, some site called theScore.com passes along a wacky headline from Sky Sports in the UK, where readers were told that last night the Los Angeles Dodgers edged the Toronto Raptors. B- b- b- but that wasn’t who played!?!!!?!