swatAfter a press conference on Thursday held revealed photographs and video of two suspects in the Boston Marathon bombings, a violent chase through Boston suburbs took place early on Friday morning, resulting in the death of one of the suspects, as well as a campus police officer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and severe injuries to a transit officer. The other suspect remains at large after driving over his injured partner to escape capture.

According to the New York Times, the two suspects are brothers. The surviving suspect is Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19-years-old, of Cambridge, Massachusetts. The suspect who was killed was identified as Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26-years-old. Investigators believe that both are originally from Chechnya.

The pursuit began on Thursday evening when the two men robbed a 7/11 near Central Square in Cambridge. A security camera captured images of a man identified as one of the suspects.

Shortly after that, police received additional reports that a campus security officer at M.I.T. was shot while in his police cruiser. The officer was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital where he would be pronounced dead. Police then received reports of a Mercedes SUV being carjacked in Cambridge. After behing held at gunpoint by the two suspects, the victim of the carjacking was eventually released at a gas station.

With the vehicle identified, police pursued the SUV into the residential streets of Watertown, Massachusetts, where a gun fight, with multiple explosives thrown at law enforcement officers, erupted. After the injured older brother, Tamerlan, was hit with multiple shots, the younger brother, Dzhokhar, got back into the vehicle and drove over his brother, right through the police line.

The two men left multiple backpacks where they had made their stand. Authorities took care of these with a bomb robot, while also rushing Tamerlan to the Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Boston, where he was pronounced dead on Friday morning. CNN reported that in addition to bullet wounds, burns were found on his body consistent with the detonation of explosives.

A massive manhunt is now underway for Dzhokhar, with almost all businesses shut down in the Boston area including both transit and taxi cab services. Police have currently surrounded a residential building in Watertown where they are proceeding with extreme caution due to the risk of explosives.