As much as I’d like to credit C.J. Wilson with an amazing pitching performance. It’s C.J. Wilson. He walked 93 batters this season. The fact that the Rays only got two hits and two walks off of him says a lot more about Tampa Bay than Wilson’s performance.
Michael Young’s three run homer in the fifth inning killed any fight that the Rays might have had left in them. The huge shot to deep center came one pitch after the Rangers third baseman swung through strike three, but managed to pull his bat back in time to fool the home plate umpire.
Following the home run, Joe Maddon was ejected from the game.
As always, join us after the jump for some stray observations:
- I finally learned what that strange salute that Rangers players do when they get on base is all about. The claw and antlers is all the rage in Texas right now.
- Josh Hamilton’s diving catch in the second inning bailed C.J. Wilson out of trouble. I said it yesterday, but Hamilton has impressed me to no end with his defense in center. I don’t think I’d even seen him play out there prior to yesterday.
- Amazing how Shields is being unraveled in by a base runner. You’d think he’d be used to it after this season.
- Saw a profile picture of Ron Washington. Wow, that schnoz must be able to snort a ton of cocaine.
- Kinsler’s error in the fourth was an attempt to help the Rays. Too bad they had no clue what to do with it.
- Treanor gets hit by a pitch twice from Shields. I understand how nerve racking it can be to face a .595 OPSer.
- Anyone imagining that Maddon didn’t know what he was getting into when he started yelling at the home plate umpire probably doesn’t watch a lot of baseball.
- Rays pitchers have looked terribly under confident. I’m not sure why Maddon went to Qualls instead of Niemann or someone else.
- I know it’s 6-0, Michael Young, but maybe trying to tag up from first to second on a fly out to second is the best idea in the world.
- Kelly Shoppach would’ve had a much better point in his argument with home plate umpire if he were right.
- Hmm. I wonder if the Rays considered starting Niemann over Shields.
- I’m guessing that Leafs commercial on Sportsnet is the equivalent of the Conan commercial on TBS.
Check out The Score’s Live Blogs throughout the playoffs and follow me on Twitter to talk about the games as they happen. Then, join us at Getting Blanked after each game for a rundown of more stray observations and feel free to share your own thoughts on the outcome in our comments section.
But for right now, enjoy my favourite comments from Twitter: