Texas Rangers prospect Engel Beltre has been suspended indefinitely after the 21 year old outfielder threw a trash can into a group of fans on Tuesday night during an especially heated (and I ain’t talkin’ ’bout the weather) Double A Texas League game in San Antonio.
Like any writer worth his salt, news of the trash receptcale being sent skyward inspired me to come up with a list of the top ten things ever thrown at baseball games. Now, if only the capability to exhibit my list in a slide show existed. I guess I’ll just have to make do with what’s available.
10) Punches from Nolan Ryan to Robin Ventura.
9) Popcorn from my five year old sister’s mid game snack onto the green AstroTurf at the SkyDome circa 1990. My entire family went to a baseball game in those corner seats down the third baseball game where you have to crank your neck the entire time to watch any of the action. I suppose my little sister assumed she could treat the stadium like it was a Provincial Park and dump her garbage wherever she pleased because midway through the game she dumped the unwanted contents of her leftover popcorn pieces into left field.
8) Chairs by Frank Francisco.
7) Fastballs by Aroldis Chapman.
6) A back kick to the catcher.
5) Baseball bats by Delmon Young.
4) All semblance of sanity out the window by Jose Offerman.
3) Ceremonial first pitches by Mariah Carey in Japan.
2) Pizza. A personal favourite.
1) Baseball games by the 1919 Chicago White Sox, the 1918 Chicaco Cubs, and pretty much every other team during that time.
And I didn’t even have to include underboobs from baseball WAGs.
And The Rest:
Ozzie Guillen tweeted his thoughts just minutes after being thrown out of yesterday afternoon’s baseball game.
Phil Hughes could have thoracic outlet syndrome.
More reasons for pitchers to be afraid of Jose Bautista.
Andre Ehtier is doing alright so far this season.
Livan Hernandez should probably consider keeping better company, or at least that’s what a federal probe into his actions might suggest.
Dirt on a baseball field is like so 2010.
Bryce Harper is keeping busy in the Minor Leagues.
Are Dan Haren and Jered Weaver the American League’s best pitching duo?
This is probably one of the worst umpire calls I’ve ever seen.
John Smoltz is staying active.
The shocking transgressions in the movie The Babe.
Kevin Youkilis will do whatever it takes to get on base.
R.J. Anderson looks at pitchers who throw off speed with their first pitch.
Yovani Gallardo’s outings have been concerning to the Milwaukee Brewers.
Roy Oswalt leaves the Phillies to go check on his home after tornadoes hit the area. At least it wasn’t for the birth of a child. Amirite?
Is Alex Gordon being jerked around in Kansas City?
According to Frank McCourt, Bud Selig’s recent actions are unAmerican.