Last night’s game between the Arizona Diamondbacks and Los Angeles Dodgers got ugly after after Ian Kennedy threw at Zack Greinke’s head in the seventh inning, causing both benches to empty.
It was a HBP-filled evening. Cody Ross was hit by a pitch earlier in the game, then Yasiel Puig took one off the face, which led to Greinke planting one between Miguel Montero’s numbers… to which Kennedy would retaliate in the most idiotic of manner by throwing at Greinke’s melon.
It’s a safe bet that we’ll see some fines and suspensions today. I’d start by tapping the pocket books of both managers, and giving Kennedy a suspension that would cost him a couple of starts. The old retaliatory beanball is one thing, but to intentionally throw at someone’s head is dangerous and inexcusable.
Now that the entire sequence of events has been declared moronic and dangerous, allow me to highlight a few things from the battle royale that took place:
- Don Mattingly tossing Alan Trammell to the ground like he’s the 1987 AL MVP runner-up
- Mark McGwire getting in the faces of Kirk Gibson and Matt Williams, simutaneously
- Williams giving McGwire some sort of “I don’t want any of this” response
- Ronald Bellasario throwing wild haymakers
- Turner Ward nearly getting thrown over the top rope near the dugout
- Vin Scully uttering “No need to call out their names…they’re all there.”
- Bunch of grown men acting like imbeciles
Oh, and a baseball game was played, too. The Dodgers rallied from behind to down the Diamondbacks 5-3.