Teams are now officially free to make trades. Here are the top eight players rumored to be on the trading block:
1. Kyle Orton (QB, Broncos) — The team is ready to start the Tim Tebow era, but Orton is an underrated pivot who flew under the radar with a stellar 2010 season. Potential destinations: Arizona, Cincinnati, Miami, Minnesota, Tennessee, Seattle, Washington.
2. Kevin Kolb (QB, Eagles) — He’s good, but he really isn’t great. Doesn’t matter: Kolb would be a tremendous upgrade for any of the seven QB-needy teams mentioned above. Potential destinations: Arizona, Cincinnati, Miami, Minnesota, Tennessee, Seattle, Washington.
3. Nick Barnett (LB, Packers) — The odd man out in the Green Bay linebacker corps has the ability to contribute as a starter elsewhere. Potential destinations: Kansas City, San Diego, Tampa Bay.
4. Reggie Bush (RB, Saints) – He’s slated to make $12 million in 2011 while counting $16 million against the cap. He’ll have to be traded, released and have his contract re-done. Potential destinations: Carolina, Denver, Indianapolis, Miami, New England, St. Louis, Tampa Bay.
5. Carson Palmer (QB, Bengals) — Who are we kidding? Mike Brown won’t deal Palmer. He’d rather let him stay home for the entire year. But if he changes his mind, Palmer would fetch a solid return. Potential destinations: Arizona, Miami, Minnesota, Seattle, Tennessee, Washington.
6. Vince Young (QB, Titans) — He’ll likely be released if he isn’t traded by Thursday, but it wouldn’t be surprising to see a desperate team give something up to secure the talented but troubled VY before he becomes a free agent. (He’d also make a good third quarterback under the new 46-man rule.) Potential destinations: Arizona, Carolina, Cincinnati, Miami, Oakland, Philadelphia, Seattle.
7. Albert Haynesworth (DL, Redskins) — He’s over the hill, over-expensive and has a poor attitude and work ethic. So I doubt the ‘Skins get anything for Haynesworth. Potential destinations: Houston, Oakland, Tennessee.
8. Donovan McNabb (QB, Redskins) — Everyone knows the Redskins are going to release him, so it’s doubtful they get bites. Potential destinations: Arizona, Cincinnati, Miami, Minnesota, Tennessee, Seattle, Washington.