In addition to monitoring the progress of specific players during this wild free agent frenzy, we’re tracking the progress specific teams are making in the grand scheme. Here’s how we rank the league’s 32 teams two days into the free agency negotiating period:
1. Green Bay Packers (–)
Might lose Cullen Jenkins but that’s not a back-breaker.
2. Pittsburgh Steelers (–)
Nice job keeping top corner Ike Taylor in town.
3. New England Patriots (–)
The Albert Haynesworth move is fairly inexpensive; could pay off huge.
4. Philadelpia Eagles: (–)
Jason Babin will complement Trent Cole nicely.
5. Baltimore Ravens: (–)
Re-signing Marshal Yanda was a big move, but losing Josh Wilson hurts.
6. Atlanta Falcons (–)
Work to do with Tyson Clabo and Harvey Dahl. But they have the money.
7. New Orleans Saints (–)
Re-signing Lance Moore was a start. Still have 28 free agents.
8. Chicago Bears (–)
Actively looking at tackles, receivers and linebackers. Nothing yet though.
9. St. Louis Rams (up 1 spot)
With Quintin Mikell signed, apparently looking into front-seven defenders. Love it.
10. New York Jets (up 2 spots)
Santonio Holmes is sticking around; Nnamdi Asomugha could be joining him.
11. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (down 2 spots)
Moving too slowly with O-linemen Jeremy Trueblood and Davin Joseph.
12. New York Giants (down 1 spot)
No cap room, still no Ahmad Bradshaw and 40 percent of O-line is gone.
13. Kansas City Chiefs (–)
Steve Breaston will help Matt Cassel and Dwayne Bowe.
14. Dallas Cowboys (–)
Quiet on the market but good move to keep Doug Free around.
15. San Diego Chargers (up 1 spot)
A lot of money for Eric Weddle, but he’s an All-Pro.
16. Indianapolis Colts (down 1 spot)
Might be on the verge of losing Clint Session.
17. Detroit Lions (–)
Negotiating with several free agent defenders that could start from the get-go.
18. Tennessee Titans (up 1 spot)
Jason Babin loss won’t hurt as much as Matt Hasselbeck addition will help.
19. Miami Dolphins (up 2 spots)
Reggie Bush and Kyle Orton help a poor offense (assuming the deals get done).
20. Houston Texans (down 2 spots)
Waiting for the cornerback market to develop.
21. Oakland Raiders (down 1 spot)
Not hearing anything re: Nnamdi Asomugha, Michael Huff and Zach Miller.
22. Seattle Seahawks (up 3 spots)
Won Day 2 with Sidney Rice/Robert Gallery signings.
23. San Francisco 49ers (down 1 spot)
Nnamdi Asomugha would change everything.
24. Jacksonville Jaguars (down 1 spot)
Paul Posluszny immediately upgrades the front seven. But missed out on Weddle.
25. Washington Redskins (up 7 spots)
They score points for dumping McNabb and Haynesworth. Like what they’ve done at receiver, too.
26. Cincinnati Bengals (down 2 spots)
Probably going to keep Cedric Benson. That is all.
27. Buffalo Bills (down 1 spot)
Prediction: Tyler Thigpen will start games this year.
28. Minnesota Vikings (down 1 spot)
If they don’t replace Rice with Braylon Edwards, they don’t replace Rice at all.
29. Cleveland Browns (down 1 spot)
Not sure why they aren’t making a strong effort to re-sign Matt Roth.
30. Denver Broncos (down 1 spot)
Missing out on running backs and taking a big risk with the Kyle Orton trade.
31. Arizona Cardinals (down 1 spot)
Kevin Kolb would be an improvement, but who wouldn’t?
32. Carolina Panthers (down 1 spot)
Spending a lot of cash, but not necessarily on the right guys.