Usually we like making you smile, but three times a week we kill the hopes and dreams of your team with tales of strains, bruises, and breaks. Here’s the worst of Wednesday’s injury report:
1. The Falcons have already ruled out Julio Jones this week due to the hamstring injury he suffered Sunday night, making Harry Douglas a possible fantasy flier for those desperately grasping because of bye weeks.
2. Andre Johnson will likely still need at least one more week.
3. It’s the usual early-week good news/bad news scenario for Julius Peppers. The Bears discovered that their stud defensive end sprained his MCL during Monday night’s loss to Detroit. However, the Chicago Tribune reports the injury isn’t serious, and Peppers hasn’t been ruled out for the Bears’ Week 6 game against Minnesota.
4. Earnest Graham could be another desperate fantasy play with LeGarrette Blount missing Tampa Bay’s Wednesday practice because of a knee injury, putting his status in serious doubt.
5. The Patriots saw the return of Danny Woodhead and Julian Edelman, while the oft-injured Albert Haynesworth was limited in practice.
6. Raiders linebacker Rolando McClain missed practice with an ankle injury. Although the severity of McClain’s injury is unknown, it’s not a good sign that Oakland felt the need to acquire Aaron Curry and bring two other free agent linebackers in for workouts.
7. Joseph Addai’s hamstring is a “day-to-day sort of thing.”
8. Antonie Winfield didn’t practice in Minnesota, but he still did much more cardio work than you did today.
9. Nick Mangold made his return in Week 5 after missing two games with a high-ankle sprain, and he received a maintenance day today.
10. When Tim Tebow makes his first start of 2011 after the Broncos’ bye week he’ll be throwing to Eddie Royal.
11. As expected, Miles Austin returned to practice earlier this week. Dez Bryant was running around on the Cowboys’ practice field too, and we can only assume that he was playing football.