It’s Friday, and anyone who didn’t practice today is probably screwed, which means the gentle, coffee and Pearl Jam loving souls in Seattle will have to endure a Charlie Whitehurst sighting.
1. Yep, Whitehurst will get his first start of the season Sunday with Tarvaris Jackson out. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said that unless Jackson experiences a miraculous turnaround with his pectoral strain Whitehurst will be Seattle’s Week 7 starter.
2. The Seahawks won’t be the only crappy NFC West team playing without its regular starting quarterback. Sam Bradford missed practice again Friday, and it’s looking like A.J. Feeley will become relevant for at least one week. Feeley’s wife is far more famous and talented than he is, so St. Louis should continue it’s plunge and possibly hold the Andrew Luck auction.
3. LeGarrette Blount has been officially ruled out for the Bucs, and Earnest Graham will start his second straight game. The news on the other side of the ball is better for Tampa, but only mildly, as Gerald McCoy will be a game-time decision.
4. Todd Haley is a very confusing man, especially when he talks about Jonathan Baldwin’s playing status.
5. Joseph Addai practiced for the first time this week today, and is now listed as questionable. That’s good news for you desperate fantasy footballers during the bye week hell that has Fred Jackson and LeSean McCoy sitting.
6. And look, here’s even better news. Rashard Mendenhall is probable after a Thursday scare with his knee.
7. I was cautious yesterday while ranking this week’s tight ends, and perhaps overly cautious. Antonio Gates was left out of the top 10 entirely due to concerns about his effectiveness while returning from a foot injury after missing three games. He made it through a full practice again Friday, and his usage could quickly increase Sunday if he re-adjusts to game speed quickly.
8. Peyton Hillis still isn’t practicing, and Pat Shurmur is screaming Montario Hardesty because he’s dropping passes in practice. Just another day in Cleveland, the city that leads the nation in drifters.
9. The Raiders held a kicker audition today because Sebastian Janikowski may be out for a few weeks.