Slight exaggeration maybe. MAYBE. But Liz Mullen of the Sports Business Journal is “hearing that about 10 clubs have already inquired” about Manning’s services.
Let’s jump through the list of teams that have already reportedly shown interest in — or received interest from — No. 18:
1. Miami Dolphins: As we said last night, connections are being made left and right. Miami is arguably the early frontrunner.
2. Washington Redskins: Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports that the ‘Skins are “poised to make an aggressive effort in the coming days.”
4. Seattle Seahawks: A league source tells Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com that “the Seahawks will come out, checkbook blazing, for Manning.”
5. Arizona Cardinals: They’ve been a popular prediction, and well-connected beat man Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic says they’re interested.
6. Houston Texans: Bob Allen of KTRK in Houston claims close friends with the Manning family say Manning is interested in joining the Texans, and a pair of pundits have already connected those dots. But John McClain of the Houston Chronicle shuts it all down with force.
7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times-Union thinks the Jags will at least consider it.
9. Kansas City Chiefs: The connection has existed in KC ever since Romeo Crennel crossed the candid line last month.
Teams that have surprisingly not been linked yet:
1. Tennessee Titans: The fans keep making the connection, but the team and its local media people insist it won’t happen.
2. Cleveland Browns: Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer says “it remains to be seen if the Browns will pursue Manning,” but we all know he won’t go to friggin’ Cleveland.