It’s coming folks. We’re now under two weeks away from the NFL Draft, and with that comes the annual onslaught of posturing and hyperbole. It’s great. So come with us, and let’s drown in rumors together every day.
Mike Holmgren wanted Robert Griffin III so much that he was convinced a deal had been engineered with the Rams that would see Cleveland move up to second to get their quarterback of the future (sorry, Colt). After St. Louis spurned the Browns and opted to trade with Washington, Holmgren alleged foul play and said a ‘very close relationship between the people getting the deal done’ helped to land RG3 in Washington.
Fortunately for Holmgren, the city god forgot is now in control of the top of the first round. With the first three picks pretty much spoken for, what the Browns will do with their pick is the draft’s biggest mystery. The Rams and Eagles appear to be the top suitors for the fourth pick, giving Holmgren a chance to exact some petty revenge by spurning St.Louis.
The Rams are said to covet Alabama RB Trent Richardson, and if they want him, they’ll have to move up. The Eagles, surprisingly, have their eye on this year’s ‘it’ guy, Ryan Tannehill.
From the National Football Authority:
The rumor being talked about has the Eagles sending Cleveland the No. 15 pick in the first round, and both of their second-round picks (Nos. 46 and 51) to move up to No. 4 (insert shocked face here). Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill is believed to be the target, as some people believe the Eagles are desperate to land a franchise-caliber backup quarterback in case Michael Vick goes down with an injury or continues to decline in performance.
Whether the Browns would want to move that far back remains to be seen. Peter King and Reuben Frank highly doubt the Eagles will move up. At this point the draft can’t come soon enough, if only to end the constant speculation about the Texas A&M quarterback everyone seems to love.
I got the headline wrong. Tannehill is the Prom queen, and we’re the guys sobbing in our rented tuxedos.
Hold on, here comes more smoke…
- If the Rams can’t get Richardson, Rob Rang says Boise State RB Doug Martin should be the target [CBS Sports]
- Is Tannehill still an option for the Seahawks? Possibly. Shoot me now. [My Northwest]
- If the Bills target a tackle at #10, they’ll have to reach for one. Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo news gives us the skinny (see what I did there) on their options. [Buffalo News]
- Adam Schefter believes the Browns will opt for Richardson if they stay at No. 4. [Twitter]
- If Tannehill somehow makes it out of the top 10, Peter King says the Chiefs will take him at 11. [SI]
- More interesting stuff from GLS favorite Charlie Casserly as he gives us a behind the scenes look at why the Texans lied about their interest in Reggie Bush before taking Mario Williams. Spoiler: GMs intentionally mislead the media! [NFL.com]
- The Titans are expected to take a defensive linemen at No. 20. [Nashville City Paper]
- The Packers will look to grab a QB late in the draft to replace Seattle bound Matt Flynn. [National Football Post]
- Courtney Upshaw’s past, which includes a domestic assault charge, could lead to a slip down the board come draft day. [Pro Football Weekly]