Well wasn’t that something? Eight trades in the first round – a new record. Bruce Irvin getting selected about 50 places higher than anyone had expected. Brandon Weeden pushing Colt McCoy off his chair and stealing his cookies. Yesterday had at all.
Today promises more of the same. Courtney Upshaw was obviously distraught last night as he waited in the green room for the call that never came. He should come off the board early tonight as mentioned in our five players to watch piece earlier today.
Coming out of Day one the Browns were the subject of much ridicule for giving up three picks to move up one spot to select Trent Richardson. At 22, Cleveland completed their offensive makeover by selecting Brandon Weeden. Alone the moves don’t make sense, but when considering them together, the Browns come out as big winners from day one. As we’ve mentioned before, the NFL is a ‘win now’ league. Mike Holmgren and Pat Shurmur can’t afford to wait and see with Colt McCoy.
Reports today indicate Weeden will start immediately. This has predictably led to Colt McCoy trade rumors. The Browns head coach would have none of that:
“I can categorically tell you that we have not engaged in any movement in regards to Colt.”
Forgive me if i have a tough time believing that, Pat.
Let’s get to the quick hitters for Day 2:
- Adam Schefter reports the Rams intend to keep the first pick of the second round. [Twitter]
- Jason La Canfora says several teams are looking to trade up to the top of the second round in order to select Janoris Jenkins. [Twitter]
- After trading up for Morris Claiborne, the Cowboys are shopping former first round pick Mike Jenkins. [NFL.com]
- Offensive Tackle Cordy Glenn has flown back to Georgia after waiting three hours in the green room last night. [Twitter]
- The Rams were about to select Justin Blackmon before the Jaguars moved up. [PFT]
- The Boston Globe says the Patriots will target Running Backs and Defensive Backs in the second round. [Boston Globe]
- Brandon Weeden wants to follow Kurt Warner’s carreer path. Do they make you bag groceries in the minor leagues? [PFT]
- Wisconsin QB Russell Wilson has a legitimate shot at being drafted in the second round according to Todd McShay. [Rotoworld]
- The Denver Post believes the Broncos will take a hard look at QB Brock Osweiler tonight. [Denver Post]
- The Rams will strongly consider Appalachian State WR Brian Quick at 33. [Rotoworld]