The Giants are the undisputed kings of New York. Superbowl champions- again, their star quarterback hosted SNL, Osi Umenyiora is antagonizing rival teams‘ via twitter – they’re doing it all.
Not long ago the Jets were the media darlings of New York. There was Hard Knocks – Rex Ryan swears incredibly often, Antonio Cromartie doesn’t the names of his children, Mark Sanchez doesn’t know what a binder is!
In a sad attempt to win back the spotlight, the Jets – or that other team from New York as they’re now known – have been on a PR blitz during the off-season. Darelle Revis called Bill Belichick a jerk on ESPN and in their most egregious attention seeking act, they traded for Tim Tebow.
It can be argued that the distractions caused by their lust for attention was a major factor in the Jets abysmal 8-8 season last year. Players noted Head Coach Rex Ryan had taken a hands off approach to coaching. Santonio Holmes’ constant griping took a visible toll on Mark Sanchez. Guard Brandon Moore noted the presence of divisions in the locker room – the team was a mess.
The Jets needed a disciplinarian. According to Tight End Dustin Keller, they’ve found one in new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano.
“When Sparano is in there talking, all eyes are on him,” Keller said. “It’s a change. Before, I would say it was a little more laid-back. But with him it’s more stern, and he just has everybody’s attention, and I think guys are paying more attention to details now more than ever.” Keller added: “Most all the guys have been very accountable to themselves, to the things they’re doing, but I think this year more than ever. Everything from the details of how far you need to line up and everything, guys already have that stuff down, and if you don’t, he’s kind of coming down on you. And that’s how it’s going to be all season, you can already tell.”
Things could change when September rolls around – it is only May – but it’s a positive beginning for a team that needs a kick in the ass.
And now you want to know the rest of the story…
- Carson Palmer believes former teammate Terrell Owens’ work ethic is a good influence for his Raiders Wide Receivers. Owens worked out with Palmer & several Raiders WR’s in late March. [CSN Bay Area]
- Ricky Williams doesn’t believe there is a link between playing football and concussions and states ‘mind over matter’ is the best way to deal with head injuries. Interesting…[Shutdown Corner]
- Vince Young knows he’s in Buffalo to be the backup and supports Ryan Fitzpatrick 100%. [Buffalo News]
- Joe Vitt equates Sean Payton to coaching legends Chuck Knoll, Tom Landry and Bill Walsh. Hyperbole is the name of a river down in Louisana. [NOLA.com]
- Colt McCoy is working hard to keep his Starting Quarterback job. I don’t like his chances. [NFL.com]
- Howard Eskin of NBC 10 doesn’t believe Jason Peters tore his Achilles for a second time this off-season by falling out of a motorized scooter. What is more embarrassing than that? [PFT]
- Some scumbag robbed Junior Seau’s home last monday. [North County Times]
- Giants punter Steve Weatherford tweeted a picture of the Giants’ Super Bowl ring. [NFL.com]