GLS Retrospective takes a look at some of the most memorable events in NFL history. Today’s installment features the day Matt Hasselbeck made an ass out of himself.
Admit it. Schadenfreude keeps us going – I use ‘us’ because it helps lessen the guilt I feel when openly rooting for others to fail.
My most vivid sports memories are firmly intrenched by their enemy spiting greatness. They include: Lebron, Wade and Bosh losing to Dallas, Brett Hull’s ‘No Goal’, Kevin Dyson coming up one yard short in the Superbowl, and finally, Matt Hasselbeck’s ill-fated overtime proclamation.
“We want the ball and we’re gonna score” still gives me chills…
Some bits and bites:
- Matt was having the time of his life during the coin toss. That boyish grin as he called heads was both endearing and disturbing. You can’t teach that.
- Joe Buck and the posse love H-bex’s moxie. I wonder what would’ve happened if one of the ‘NFL’s thugs’ had made such a claim.
- At the 10:44 mark of OT it’s pretty clear Brett Favre is trying to recall the name of the team physiotherapist.
- This game was a watershed moment for Hasselbeck. His first playoff game came against his former team – that’s pretty huge.
- The Packers traded Hasselbeck, their first (17th overall) and seventh-round draft picks to the Seahawks for their first (10th overall) and third-round draft picks in 2001.
- Mike Holmgren really rocked the Walrus look well. Fantastic.
- The Seahawks did well to pick up the Packers blitz, but H-bex was clearly rattled. He went with his first read – Alex Bannister. Al Harris jumped button hooks for breakfast back in those days.
- The dread theory is a simple one. NFL players with dreads–as a group –perform at a higher level than their non-dreaded peers. Harris was in the upper echelon of the dreaded elite.
- In hindsight, Favre running around the field like he had ANY ROLE in the victory killed my schadenfreude moment. At 3:44 he desperately tries to get into the celebration circle to no avail. That was great.
- In the end I felt quite bad for Seattle’s quarterback. Good on Ryan Longwell for giving H-bex the love he needed.