When we last checked in with Adrian Peterson, the level of douche involved in his Saturday morning square off with the local badges in Houston at the town tavern was heavily in question. The same can be said for the allocation of the douche factor, as it wasn’t entirely clear who was the douche instigator, and who was merely the innocent crossfire victim trying to minimize and snuff out the presence of douche.
It was a confusing, twisted little scene that may or may not have involved Peterson committing the heinous crime of requesting hydration before leaving a drinking establishment. So before we venture deeper into the
crushing nothingness exciting Monday that is the start of another July week in NFL land, we should follow up on the Peterson situation to see if anything new has developed in the 48 or so hours since he was arrested.
How ’bout it, AP? Anything new to report?
Nope. Nothing at all.
Those are tweets from Sunday afternoon, after the spokesperson for the Houston Police Department said that an off-duty cop asked Peterson’s group to leave a nightclub after closing time, and then when he returned and asked again, Peterson angrily said he had heard him the first time, and shoved the officer. He then “assumed an aggressive stance,” and two more off-duty officers were needed to restrain Peterson and complete the arrest.
Other reports indicated that Peterson asked to get a glass of water, at which point a shouting match started with the first officer. But once that fizzled down, Peterson was leaving quietly when he was jumped by another policeman.
For now, that’s still all we have. Reports that hint at racial profiling are being held in stark contrast against the statements by the Houston PD. There’s a history of the former in Houston, while there’s very little history of Peterson acting like a moron at a club.
We also have this video of the arrest from TMZ. While it’s equal parts captivating and comical (“ADRIAN’S MY FRIEND!!!”) it shows very little, as the arrest looks like the kind of skirmish with authorities that happens at every bar/club ever on every night everywhere.
Someone acted like a complete fool here, it’s just unclear who exactly the fool was. So yes, Adrian, the truth will come out eventually.
And now the links part of the links post…
- I’m not sure that anything wakes me up on a Monday morning quite like intense litigation analysis and an in-depth look at the upcoming bountygate squabbles that have now transitioned to the courtroom. Seriously, though, read this and educate yourself. [Steph Stradley]
- Note to those desperate enough to peddle explicit pictures of NFL owners on the Internet: make sure you can type. [Busted Coverage]
- Bruce Allen is the latest to walk through the revolving door of MMQB writers with Peter King on vacation. He wrote something nice about Dan Snyder in the first few paragraphs, which makes him the first MMQB writer so say anything nice about Dan Snyder, ever. [MMQB]
- In other reminders that it’s July, Arian Foster is now a vegan. Hooray? [Around The League]
- There’s a Weatherspoon and a Witherspoon atop the list of the league’s worst tacklers over the past three years. This can only mean one thing: never draft defensive players with a kitchen utensil in any part of their name. Max Hugeknife is screwed. [Titan Sized]
- Anyone not named Bart Hubbuch has an open mind towards new ways of analyzing and discussing football, even if you may not agree with all of the latest methodologies and statistical metrics. So please, indulge yards per pass route as a new metric to level the playing field for wide receivers. [Pro Football Focus]
- A homeless man put likely every penny he had to his name in a parking meter so that Jermaine Gresham would avoid a ticket. Gresham then paid him $100. [Cincy Jungle]
- Randall Cobb will be returning kicks in Green Bay for the foreseeable future. [ESPN Milwaukee]
- It’s a sad day for youthful innocence. Norman Sas, the inventor of electronic football, passed away at the age of 87. [Doug Farrar]
- Ohhhh man. Ohhh man. We’re talking about training camp battles (*checks calendar, sees it’s still almost three more weeks until camps open, crawls back under desk*). [Buffalo Rumblings]