In yesterday’s win over the Buffalo Bills, New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis was kicked in the head by teammate Bart Scott while trying to tackle C.J. Spiller. Revis, who had one of three Jets interceptions on the day, stayed on the ground for a while, causing Jets fans and fantasy owners of the Jets defense to hold their collective breath. Their fortune’s (fantasy or otherwise) could drastically change if the best corner in the NFL were to miss an extended period of time.
Initially it was reported that Revis was fine, but now it turns out that he has a mild concussion.
HOLY CRAP, THE JETS SEASON IS OVER! REVIS’ CAREER IS OVER! MY FANTASY SEASON IS OVER! THE ONLY DEFENSE LEFT IN MY LEAGUE BELONGS TO THE COLTS! DOGS AND CATS LIVING TOGETHER! MASS HYSTERIA!
Oh wait, did that say mild? Oh it did, didn’t it? In fact, Revis says he feels fine, and there’s a decent chance he’ll suit up against Pittsburgh on Sunday.
So there’s no need to panic, although things aren’t necessarily rosy either. Head injuries are a strange thing; with symptoms creeping back long after a person believes they’ve recovered. If Revis feels even the slightest twinge of a headache come Sunday (and it’s not related to a hangover or a lack of caffeine), the Jets could sit him down for the week.
The chances of that happening remain very slim. But it’s possible, and fantasy owners of Steelers’ wide receiver Mike Wallace (and Wallace himself, I suppose) would love a week off from Revis’ stifling D, although it would be a shame if it came as a result of a head injury.
Sometimes we tend to forget that those names on our fantasy roster are living, breathing human beings (I admit, I’m a bit of a bummer today).
Look out, here comes more hurt…
- During his press conference on Monday, Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith announced that cornerback Brent Grimes would miss the remainder of the season with an Achilles injury.[Pro Football Talk]
- Bills wide receiver David Nelson could miss the entire season after suffering a torn ACL; this could prove to be devastating to the Bills’ passing attack. [Adam Schefter's twitter]
- The Bills’ injury woes continue, with running back Fred Jackson expected to miss at least four weeks after injuring his right knee during Sunday’s game against the Jets. Rejoice if you’re a C.J. Spiller owner, because this is his chance to steal the top job and keep running with it for the rest of the season after he had 169 rushing yards and a touchdown yesterday. [Rotoworld]
- Good news for Seahawks left tackle Russell Okung. His knee injury isn’t as serious as initially feared, and it’s now being described as a bone bruise (no ligaments were damaged). [Jason La Canfora’s twitter]
- Eagles’ wide receiver Jeremy Maclin is suffering through a sore hip flexor, something that has apparently dogged him since college. [Rotoworld]