The Steelers camp is in disarray heading into their game against Cleveland this Sunday, a must win considering their opponents in week 12 — those dang Ravens.
Charlie Batch will get the start for Byron Leftwich, who fractured a rib on Sunday night. For fantasy owners of Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders this is terrible news. It gets worse, I’ll get to that later.
To make matters more complicated offensively, Mike Tomlin is unsure who will start at running back. Rashard Mendenhall started against the Ravens, but he shared carries with Jonathan Dwyer. For owners in desperate need of a flex option the two Steeler backs are weak plays at best with the playoffs just two weeks away.
Which brings us to the most risky option of the week, one Plaxico Burress. Jerricho Cotchery fractured his ribs thanks to a patented Bernard Pollard kill shot. After missing the past two weeks Antonio Brown remains questionable. This means Plax will see the field in his first game back in black and gold.
New Steelers WR Plaxico Burress told us he’ll wear #80 & play in a red zone package designed for him
— Ross Tucker (@RossTuckerNFL) November 21, 2012
Todd Haley will have about two days to implement said red zone package. How effective it will be with little practice time and Batch at QB remains to be seen. The chances he recives targets over Wallace and Sanders are slim. Rotoworld believes Burress will see the field for only a handful of plays.
With all that laid out Burress goes up against a Browns secondary that got torched in Dallas. Without Joe Haden and already porous unit becomes that much worse.
Desperation makes us do stupid things. Faced with the option of employing Jacquizz Rodgers, Darrius Heyward-Bey or Andre Roberts — yes, those guys are on my team — why not roll the dice on Plax. At worse it’ll give us a reason to watch what should be an ugly contest in Cleveland.
And now the links part of the links post…
- After having his knee scoped Alshon Jeffery will be sidelined for two to four weeks. [Sean Jensen]
- Both of Felix Jones’ knees are sore. Fantasy owners beware as Felix will be a game -time decision tomorrow. [Fort Worth Star-Telegram]
- Christopher Harris points out the free-agent finds for Week 12. Bryce Brown and Justin Blackmon feature. [ESPN]
- John Elway says Knowshon Moreno will be ‘in the mix’ for Sunday’s game against Kansas City. [Rich Eisen]
- With Titus Young suspended, Ryan Broyles is set for a breakout performance tomorrow afternoon. [DetroitLions.com]