If you haven’t seen Brothers by Choice you should do so immediately. The above scene is a seminal moment in Canadian Television Movie history. Anna Hagan as ‘The Mother’ was fantastic.
The movie focuses on two brothers and their battles with some thugs and/or drug dealers named Dal and Kirk. Rob and Rex Ryan are the Dal and Kirk of the NFL.
Rob lost his job yesterday. Cowboys Head Coach Jason Garrett made the announcement, a bizzarre tidbit considering many believe Ryan will not be the only coach to be axed in Dallas. Ryan gave EspnDallas.com’s Tim MacMahon the quote of the year on his way out. “I inherited a team that was 31st in the league in defense and made them better. I (expletive) made them a hell of a lot better. I’ll be out of work for like five minutes.”
If Rob sounded pissed off it’s because he was. He received the news while vacationing in Turks and Caicos. Several Cowboys players took to twitter moments after the firing, declaring their love for the best head of hair in the business. Though the lasting memory of Ryan’s tenure in Dallas will be Alfred Morris running all over the Cowboys D, he did a great job. Ryan made what was a league worst defense respectable, and if not for some horrible in game decisions by Jason Garrett the Cowboys could have started the season with a far better record than 5-5. He’s right. Ryan won’t be out of work for long.
The Jets need a DC, Rob is Rex’s brother. It all makes perfect sense. Except for the fact that several credible journalists have debunked the theory, Jay Glazer the most succinct of the them all.
And no Rex will NOT be hiring Rob Ryan
— Jay Glazer (@JayGlazer) January 9, 2013
There are other options. The best of them all may be in Kansas City. Andy Reid’s demise in Philadelphia began when he lost Jim Johnson. The Chiefs are stocked with talent on the defensive side of the ball — at least compared to their piss poor offense. It’s expected Reid will grab his Quarterback of the future at number one. Whether Reid will tolerate a coach with the boisterous demeanor of Ryan remains to be seen. In my eyes it’s the perfect fit.
And now the links part of the links post…
- Bill Cowher plans on eventually returning to the NFL. [NFL.com]
- The Chargers have expressed interest in Bengals DC Mike Zimmer. Zimmer interviewed with Cleveland this morning. Rumors also indicate Bruce Arians is San Diego’s number on choice. [Kevin Acee]
- Peyton Manning has been wearing a glove on his right hand for the past two games because of his neck surgery. [Denver Post]
- Reggie Wayne and Ray Lewis are in a minor war of words after Lewis’ post game seizure/dance on Sunday. [PFT]
- Mike Mularkey’s tenure in Jacksonville will likely end when the Jaguars hire their new GM. [Jason La Canfora]