That’s a wrap folks. After all the draft profiles, hearsay and speculation, and draft reviews, we’re finally beginning to close the books on the 2012 NFL Draft.
I know, we’re scared too. For draftniks, this process is quite depressing. Thankfully, GLS is here to help fuel your dependency and slowly ween you off your addiction, as contributor Alen Dumonjic will continue his analysis of individual picks. And for the mock draft obsessed, we’ve got one more round of baseless speculation that will almost certainly be irrelevant in a matter of weeks. It’s your 2013 mock draft round up!
|SI – Andrew Perloff||Fox Sports – Peter Schrager|
|1. Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas||1. Matt Barkley, QB, USC|
|2. Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M||2. Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia|
|3. David Amerson, CB, NC State||3. Sam Montgomery, DE/OLB, LSU|
|4. Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee||4. Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas|
|5. Robert Woods, WR, USC||5. Robert Woods, WR, USC|
|6. Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU||6. D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama|
|7. Xavier Rhodes, CB, FSU||7. David Amersen, CB, NC State|
|8. Matt Barkley, QB, USC||8.Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee|
|9. Barrett Jones, OT, Alabama||9. Kawaan Short, DT, Purdue|
|10. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia||10. Shariff Floyd, DT, Florida|
|The Big Lead – Jason McIntyre||ESPN – Todd McShay|
|1. Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee||1. Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah|
|2. Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia||2. Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin|
|3. Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah||3. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas|
|4. Matt Barkley, QB, USC||4. Robert Woods, WR, USC|
|5. Robert Woods, WR, USC||5. D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama|
|6. Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State||6. Matt Barkley, QB, USC|
|7. Seantrel Henderson, OL, Miami||7. Keenan Allen, WR, California|
|8. Barkevious Mingo, LB/DE, LSU||8. Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia|
|9. Chase Thomas, LB, Stanford||9. Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU|
|10. Kawann Short, Purdue||10. Sam Montgomery, DE/OLB, LSU|
|Walter Football|| Mocking The Draft
|1. Matt Barkley, QB, USC||1. Matt Barkley, QB, USC|
|2. Sam Montgomery, DE/OLB, LSU||2. Robert Woods, WR, USC|
|3. Robert Woods, WR, USC||3. Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU|
|4. D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama||4. Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas|
|5. David Amerson, CB, N.C. State||5. Star Lotulelei, DE/NT/DT, Utah|
|6. Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech||6. Kawaan Short, DT, Purdue|
|7. Johnathan Hankins, NT, Ohio State||7. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan|
|8. Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU||8. Johnathan Hankins, DT/NT, OSU|
|9. Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas||9. Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma|
|10. Keenan Allen, WR, California||10. Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia|
A few thoughts:
- A Quarterback will almost certainly go first overall, as that’s happened eight out of the last ten years. This makes McShay’s choice of DT Star Lotulelei as his first overall pick pretty interesting. The Utah product is gargantuan, measuring out at 6’4 and 325 pounds. The Tongan shared the 2012 Morris Trophy for best lineman with Matt Kalil.
- Unless his legs and/or arms implode, Matt Barkley will go very high. Taking the dangerous ‘return to school’ route is a risk, but I ask you this: would you want to leave Southern California for Minnesota?
- Many have rated Robert Woods as the best wide receiver prospect since Calvin Johnson. A load of expectations will accompany that, but I think this guy will be alright…
- Tyler Wilson, Tyler Bray, and Landry Jones will be the benefactors of the annual overvaluing quarterback fest. So many Tylers, not enough Devangs (India excluded).
- Tyrann Mathieu, he of the most insufferable nickname created in recent memory, will be one to keep an eye on as NCAA action gets underway in a few months. While he’s a great athlete, Mathieu’s size may be of concern considering the prevalence of giants at the wide receiver position.
There you have it. Projecting the first round a year from the draft is somewhat educated guesswork at best, but it does give you an idea of who to look out for on Saturdays this year. Now if you’ll excuse me I’ll be crying in the darkest of corners. Miss you, Mel.