The Boston Bruins have reportedly locked up Patrice Bergeron with a 3-year contract extension worth $15 million.
- The news of Semyon Varlamov heading to the IR had poolies scrambling earlier this week, it looks like Michal Neuvirth could play the first three games of the season.
- Don Cherry thinks the Montreal Canadiens should have opted to send Carey Price packing, not Jaroslav Halak. Cherry went on to say: “Carey Price is a good goaltender, don’t get me wrong. [But] he will not be a good goaltender in Montreal”.
- mc79hockey on nerds predicting numbers with the Edmonton Oilers. Are the young Oilers really going to be a dominant offensive force? Maybe, just maybe…
- Brenden Morrow has been dealing with some soreness in his back, but appears ready to skate on a line with Mike Ribeiro and Adam Burish in the team’s opener Friday night in New Jersey.
- In case you missed it, Joe Thornton was named captain of the San Jose Sharks on Thursday. Dan Boyle will wear an ‘A’ permanently, while Patrick Marleau and Ryan Clowe will swap the role of alternate captain on the road and at home. What, no Joe Pavelski? Travesty.
- NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly and his cronies expect more European games next season, but stopped short of saying that the NHL would return to Russia for exhibition games against bush-league KHL teams:
“We certainly don’t want to create an environment where there is a higher risk of injury for our players. If we make a determination that there is a higher risk of injury for our players in the game we probably won’t play them again.”