Take out Lloyd Christmas and slide in an aging, disgruntled Glen Sather, and you have this trade deadline day in a nutshell so far.
As is often the case in the early hours of the day when anyone who can type 140 characters or less is a certified source, there has been far more hype and speculation than substance. The centre of attention continues to be Brad Richards, and the muddled mess his situation has become in Dallas between his injury, his no-trade clause, the ownership questions, and his pending unrestricted free agency.
Today you’ll hear and read percentages being used to quantify reports, giving us the only day of the year when numbers lie more than a man coming home well after midnight. The odds of Richards landing in the Big Apple have bounced around all morning, but the latest line was set at “less than 50/50” by Larry Brooks of the New York Post.
Like a bad game of Clue, the plot is beginning to unravel. We know that Richards is indeed willing to waive is no-trade clause, but he’ll only do it for one team. Which lucky team is it? The Rangers. We think.
Oh and that sound you heard around 10:30 ET was hundreds of bloggers wheeling and falling off of their chairs after the news that something actually happened. The day’s first blockbuster sent Radek Dvorak to Atlanta.
The next sound you heard was faces hitting keyboards.
Don’t touch the hotstove, because it’s pretty damn hot
- The Blackhawks are still kicking the tires on Ladislav Smid.
- Tires will be quite sore by the end of the day from all of this reckless kicking. The Hurricanes are reportedly kicking Randy Jones’ tires and expressing interest in the Tampa Bay defenceman.
- Vancouver is looking at Marty Reasoner and Zenon Konopka.
- The Thrashers have been busy. In addition to signing Mart Stuart to a three-year contract extension worth $5.1 million, they’ve also been taking calls about Johnny Oduya.
- In what makes for a great mental image of Bryan Murray, the Sens are “laying in the weeds” in regards to Filip Kuba and Chris Campoli.
- More Bruce Garrioch musings: Talk won’t go away that the Capitals are interested in Kings goalie Jonathan Bernier.
- Teams have been inquiring about Tim Connolly, but ESPN’s Matt Barnaby tweets that the Sabres aren’t actively shopping him yet.
- Rest easy Red Wings fans, Ken Holland probably isn’t doing anything.