Can you feel the moderate excitement in the air? Oh yes, free agency is about to begin and you can practically feel NHL GMs salivating and getting ready to pounce like an animal in the wild? Or, you know, not and they’re just by their phones, ready to start calling players in the hopes of adding them to a flawed roster (unless you’re the Flyers who seem to just get everybody anyway).
The real question is what kind of day will this be? Will it be a day with a flurry of action and tons of signings that even the TSN panels won’t be able to keep up with (how do we analyze four deals at once? We better cover this all day) or will it be like so many trade deadlines past, with lots of build up and very little fanfare. I’m tending to lean towards the latter, though I hope I’m wrong. We always build July 1 up and deals always happen but the big ones usually take some time to trickle through. I mean, Brian Burke probably wants to watch the Euro final too so patience, Toronto.
Meanwhile, I’m just trying to come to grips with the possibility of both Steve Nash and Martin Brodeur playing their respective sports in my city. It’s a small possibility, this is Toronto after all, and if 50% of it happens I’ll be surprised but, I mean, free agency – sometimes it’s shockingly fun. I’m excited to see what this summer will bring and we should all be excited for the day of sports that’s ahead of us today. There’s really something for everyone. So let’s sit back and enjoy.
Links To The Past
- Just like on Draft night, Jordan Staal gets us started. Something about the contract he signed seems awful familiar, though. (Puck Daddy)
- It’s not the deepest free agent class ever this year, but the names at the top of the list are what’s behind my excitement. It’s going to be strange to see these guys in new jerseys come next season. (Toronto Star)
- As I’m sure you’ve all heard by now, Justin Schultz has chosen the Edmonton Oilers. Can we all please stop talking about this now? At least until the season starts (Globe and Mail)
- This probably shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, but the New Jersey Devils have quite a lot invested in these free agent sweepstakes. (The Star-Ledger)
- Colby Armstrong has been bought out by the Leafs. I shall shed no tears. (Pension Plan Puppets)
- Along with everything else, it’s also the Pride Parade here in Toronto which just gives me an excuse to link to the You Can Play Project. Easily, the smartest move a Burke has ever made. (You Can Play)
- Who doesn’t love trades? And who doesn’t love top-10s. I’m sure you can see where I’m going with this. (The Hockey News)
- The Kings were a pre-season favorite to win the Cup. Then they won the Cup. Now they’re looking to get better. Uh-oh. (LA Times)
- Because we’re totally awesome here at The Score, we’ve prepared a handy-dandy off-season tracker for all your trade and signing needs. We hope you’ll join us in continually refreshing our internet browsers to see what will happen next. (The Score)