If you’re into boxscores, recaps, give this link a click. She’s all there.
* Max Pacioretty scored not once, not twice., but three times against the Wild. Not a bad showing.
* It’s not quite a hat-trick, but David Perron’s two goals and two assists still make for a pretty great night.
* Just like we all predicted, “Marek Mazanec” shut out the Detroit Red Wings. He stopped 27 shots. And while it was no shut-out, Tuukka Rask’s 43 saves on 44 shots was pretty impressive too.
* Brenden Morrow had two goals, and I didn’t write that in 2002, so wow.
* Big nights: Joffrey Lupul had three assists, Kessel had two goals, Kimmo Timonen had one and two, and Ryan Smyth had one and two.
What a story
Josh Harding is, statistically speaking, damn near the best goalie in the NHL this year. The reason for this is that sometimes people shoot hockey pucks at his net, and he does this:
Though, it’s not like Max Pacioretty had a bad night.
Speaking of robbery…
Good thing Curtis McElhinney made this stop, or last night’s Oilers/Blue Jackets game could’ve got to somewhere near relevant:
And then, sadness
The Buffalo Sabres scored one goal last night. It just so happened to come 10 seconds into the game. Clearly, this is not how you drew things up if you’re the Blues.
Poor Seth Jones
Defending Pavel Datsyuk isn’t easy:
This will undeniably sound like fan-speak, but whatever: the New York Islanders are not that good. I mean…why would they be?
The Isles pushed the Penguins in playoffs last year and people took that to mean they’d arrived. I’m not exactly sure why. Missing Vanek and Grabner last night didn’t help, but this roster really isn’t that impressive. Their game last night (in which they “out-shot” the Leafs 37-24) was terrible. If they were in the West playoffs would already be an afterthought.
* From the NHL…gotta love the “old” guys.
41-year-old Jaromir Jagr and 43-year-old Teemu Selanne, who have combined for 10-13–23 this season and 1,366-1,775–3,141 in 2,816 career regular-season games, meet for the first time this season when the Devils visit the Ducks. Jagr and Selanne rank 10th and 11th on the all-time goals list.
* John Tavares probably didn’t love this (clean) hit he took last night.
* With all due respect to Buffalo, they were pretty obviously being shady with their reason of “general body soreness” to send Grigorenko to the AHL.
* And finally, NHL Twitter accounts are pretty fun. Here’s a nice exchange between Vancouver, Edmonton, Columbus and Florida.