- The only real piece of news to come out of morning shootaround today was that Jerryd Bayless (sprained knee) will not play tonight against the Timberwolves. Leandro Barbosa will be a game-time decision (hamstring). Jay Triano said that Barbosa didn’t respond as well as they had hoped after practicing with the team yesterday, so we’ll see tonight if he can go and how long he can play.
- Triano was asked about facing Kevin Love on the day after he found out he was not selected to be an All-Star reserve. With a little extra motivation tonight, Love could have one of those historical kind of nights. Here’s Triano on Love:
“Knowing him, yeah, I think he’s going to feel like he has something to prove. It’s unfortunate that we have them on this date. He’s a competitor and he’s probably worthy of being on the all-star team, but for whatever reason, didn’t get voted in. He’ll probably want to prove people wrong.”
- DeMar DeRozan was talking about dunks, after spending yesterday afternoon working with Darryl Dawkins, preparing for his trip back home to L.A. during the All-Star break. He sounds fairly confident, a few weeks removed from the event:
“When I get some more time to go in the gym, outside of practice and everything, I’ll practise my dunks. I think I have something.”
- DeRozan said the biggest thing Dawkins stressed to him was bringing his personality into the contest. While DeRozan’s got dunking down pat, his coach will be working to help him become more vocal despite his laidback demeanor.
“Showmanship after the dunk, or getting the crowd involved after the dunk. Last year, he said I didn’t have any problems with my dunks. It was just making it more exciting, having fun with your fans and your teammates.”
- What was Triano’s recipe for success against Love? Limiting the amount of times his team has to worry about guarding him:
When a ball goes up, get two players on him, box him out, try to keep him away from easy put backs, easy rebounds, and saving us from more possessions that we have to guard Kevin Love.”
- After watching Love this season, I wish anyone well who thinks they’ll be able to contain him on the glass.