I think we can all agree that the NBA Dunk Contest has gotten a little predictable, thanks to all the Dwight Howard and Nate Robinson appearances. In the last five seasons, one or both of them has been in the finals, mostly because they are both good at accentuating their height. Nate knows how to make being small look cool, and Dwight does the same for being tall.

There’s only one solution — no Nate or Dwight. And, since Nate’s on record as saying he’s done with the contest, we’re just a Dwight retirement away from bliss.

Well, today’s our lucky day. From FanHouse:

“I’m retired for life,” Orlando center Dwight Howard said in an interview with FanHouse on Monday about how he won’t ever again compete in the NBA dunk contest during All-Star Weekend. [...]

“I don’t want to do it,” Howard, 25, said after the Magic practiced at the Pepsi Center on Monday in preparation for Tuesday’s game against Denver. “I want to let other people have an opportunity to shine. I (have done) the dunk contest too many times. I’m over with it.”

Hallelujah — no returning champions this season. Sure, Dwight’s appearance last year — remember, he skipped out — might have made things a little more exciting, but I am more than happy to have neither him nor Nate Robinson in the dunk contest this year. Great success.

Of course, now that we know the last three champions won’t be in the contest, we need to brainstorm our ideal candidates. Russell Westbrook is out, unfortunately, so leave him off your list. Blake Griffin seems like an obvious choice, but big guys aren’t always great in competition. Unless he’s allowed to bring Timofey Mozgov with him, I’m not sure he’d be great.

That being said, off the top of my head, my dream field of guys who might actually participate would be Nick Young, DeMar DeRozan, Andre Iguodala and Blakey GrifGriffs. Some experience, some new blood and a variety of different shapes and sizes of humans.

Let’s hear yours down below.