Do you like social media buzzwords such as cross-platform, activations and interactivity while also enjoying basketball and/or the Oklahoma City Thunder and/or the Houston Rockets? If so, this new Nike “Summer Is Serious” contest is literally the definition of “in your wheelhouse.” Here are the rules:
During the Entry Period, submit a photo or video of yourself (subject to the guidelines in Section 5 below) via Twitter, Instagram or Vine using the hashtag #summerisserious. During the period July 8 – 16, 2013 follow @nikebasketball for the daily challenges that will be issued for a specific skill (i.e., shooting, rebounding, etc.). After July 16, 2013, when challenges are no longer issued, you may still submit entries through August 2, 2013. You may submit as many entries as you like, but each entry must be a new original entry that has not been previously submitted.
And here is what you can win:
Sixteen (16) Winners will each receive a three-day trip August 15 – 17, 2013 to New York City to participate in a special Tournament of Champions game with one team of Winners drafted by Kevin Durant facing one team of Winners drafted by James Harden. The game will take place the evening of August 16, 2013. Each Winner will receive a uniform, which includes a jersey, shorts and a pair of shoes.
And here is what you absolutely cannot put in your internet video:
Content Restrictions: The entry must NOT contain:
- People other than entrant in the photo;
- Entrant in a sports team uniform on camera, or mention a team name;
- Logos (other than Nike, Converse, or Hurley);
- Marks that identify a brand (other than Nike, Converse, or Hurley);
- Building signage;
- Material that violates or infringes another’s rights (living or deceased), including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights;
- Images and/or artwork that that are copyrighted, trademarked, protected by trade secret or otherwise subject to third party proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights, unless you are the owner of such rights or have permission from their rightful owner to post the material;
- Nudity, acts of violence, acts that appear to cause injury or harm;
- Dangerous stunts;
- Real weapons of any kind, including, but not limited to, guns, knives or projectiles;
- Drug use;
- Material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, age or any other basis protected by Federal, State, or Local Law, Ordinance, or Regulation; and
- Material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any state where the Entry is created.
So basically, a shot-for-shot remake of Action Bronson’s “Strictly 4 My Jeeps” or most other worthwhile rap videos is completely out of the question, but you can win the chance to play summer ball with two of the NBA’s most famous summer ballers. Seems like a fair trade.
And while I won’t be entering this contest because I have a wedding to go to that weekend, I really hope a TBJ fan somehow makes it on to one of those teams. It’s kind of impossible to tell if they’re looking for actual basketball talent or just straight up laughs when picking these winners, but I’d be willing to bet there’s a little of both out there. So go nuts with your videos and your hashtags, because this could be your one and only chance to to end up in one of those world famous YouTube clips where Kevin Durant makes 50 threes from beyond halfcourt or whatever. I suppose you could also have your face get mushed, but that’s a risk you need to be willing to take.