The New Orleans Pelicans unveiled their uniforms today, and because they’re not the Brooklyn Nets and Jay-Z didn’t “design” their jerseys, they didn’t leak prior to the unveiling, which is truly amazing in this day and age. So just a few minutes ago, we had our actual first look at the league’s newest team. The results are somewhat better than fine.
My thoughts, in bullets:
- Now that the Pelicans are rocking navy blue road unis, that makes 18 of 30 NBA teams who wear some shade of blue fairly regularly. This is because blue — whether it be navy, royal or baby — looks good on uniforms. It’s kind of a bummer that we have yet another blue-clad team, but that’s a hard color to mess up, so you can understand why that’d be the choice. But still, these are basically just those old Cavs alternates from the LeBron era.
- Super bummer that “Pelicans” isn’t across the chest of either of these. If you have a weird team name, embrace it.
- That “New Orleans” on the chest is hilariously small. Maybe up-size that font to a 72-point next time around.
- The embellished font used on the numbers obviously has to do with old timey New Orleans writing, but when you look at Jrue Holiday’s No. 11, it kind of looks like flamingo legs. Which, of course, wrong bird.
- I don’t know that much about New Orleans, but whatever the Hornets were wearing the past few seasons feels way more festive than these new looks.
All that being said, these are still not bad. They’re just plain, and it’s unfortunate they’re so barely Pelicans-y. When in doubt, bird it out.
Couple more shots after the jump. Let’s hear what you think in the comments.