Look, there are a lot of confusing parts of this story. For one, the First Lady of the United States of America is releasing a hip-hop record, which hasn’t been done since Lady Bird Johnson dropped “Bird On a Wire: The Reckoning” back in 1962. For two, well, just read the first part because it is supremely weird that Michelle Obama is releasing a hip-hop record, even if it is part of her “Let’s Move” campaign and she probably isn’t even rapping on it.
Nonetheless, the tracklist, which is a real thing that exists:
1. “U R What You Eat” f/ Salad Bar (Matisyahu, Ariana Grande, Travis Barker)
2. “Everybody” f/ Jordin Sparks, Doug E. Fresh, Dr. Oz, Ryan Beatty, Hip Hop MD
3. “Let’s Move” f/ Doug E. Fresh, Artie Green, Chauncey Hawkins
4. “Just Believe” featuring Ashanti, Gerry Gunn, Artie Green, Robbie Nova
5. “Veggie Luv” f/ Monifah and J Rome
6. “Hip Hop FEET” f/ DMC and Artie Green
7. “Stronger” f/ Shayna Steele, Jeremy Jordan, Our Time Theater kids, and E-Street Band guitarist Nils Lofgren
8. “Give Myself a Try” f/ Ryan Beatty
9. “Jump Up” f/ Brady Rymer and the Little band that Could
10. “Hip Hop LEAN” f/ Artie Green
11. “Pass the Rock” f/ Iman Shumpert and Artie Green
12. “Good Living” f/ Ashton Jones
13. “Beautiful” f/ Daisy Grant and Artie Green
14. “Change the Game” f/ The Happiness Club, featuring Naledge
15. “Wanna Jump (Let’s Move)” f/ Paul Burch
16. “Mother May I” f/ Amelia Robinson
17. “We Like vegetables” f/ Los Barkers!
18. “Get Up Sit Up” f/ Babi Floyd
19. “One Step Forward” f/ Samite
Growing up, if you’d have told Iman Shumpert that he’d someday be on the same record as Dr. Oz, he probably would have said, “The wizard? I thought he was fake.” But still, this is happening and I don’t really know what sort of explanation I can offer for any of it, except that Iman Shumpert and Michelle Obama both lived in Chicago at some point in their lives. Maybe she caught one of his freestyles, then made a mental note to include him on any hip-hop related projects she may produce. Maybe this is a trade-off thing and Michelle Obama will be singing hooks on Shumpert’s next mixtape. I don’t know. All I know is that it’s happening and that is kind of enough.
Also, I am just going to assume DMC is the rapper and not DeMarcus Cousins, because two mid-tier NBA players on one First Lady rap record is just too unbelievable.